A chiropractic adjustment is a pain-relieving method in which a qualified chiropractor uses a small instrument or their hands to apply a calculated, sudden exertion to the spine. Also referred to as spinal manipulation or manual therapy, the end goal of this method is to enhance spinal locomotion and upgrade your body's physical abilities. If you are experiencing any of the following pains and aches, contact Island Chiropractic, where a chiropractor near Plainview can tend to your pain:
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
Why Manual Therapy?
When the spine is not aligned correctly, it can yield various long-term complications. The vertebral joints and discs start to deteriorate, enforcing decreased movement, and decreased function. When the spine is misaligned, the nervous system can be compromised and becomes unable to perform normally. Therefore, the nerves become exasperated and inflamed which can cause discomfort. A normal functioning nervous system is key in allowing the body to effectively manage any diseases or conditions affecting the body. The benefits of spinal manipulation include:
- Pain relief: Due to the effectiveness of this practice, spinal manipulation can relieve your pain in as little as one visit. This targeted therapy may immediately subside your discomfort or worst case, do so in multiple visits.
- Improve flexibility: When your spine is realigned joints and muscles will be able to move freely in the fashion they are designed to, causing increased flexibility and range of motion.
- Surgery prevention: Before undergoing surgery, spinal manipulation is worth a shot. This procedure can subside your symptoms and allow long-term comfort, intercepting the reasons for surgery.
- Decreased drug dependence: The common story; experience pain, get over the counter drugs. If that doesn’t work, see a doctor and get prescribed drugs. Increasing in popularity is holistic healing, which is any procedure that diverts from drug use, like spinal manipulation. If it works effectively, the use of drugs will not be necessary.
If you believe this type of pain relief is for your discomfort, contact a chiropractor in Plainview at Island Chiropractic.
Types of Spinal Manipulations
The chief reason for this procedure is to promote the body’s natural healing potential and assure a normal range of motion. With that, each patient, depending on their pain, may be susceptible to a variety of manipulation techniques. The following are some common techniques of spinal manipulations:
- Direct Thrust: Perhaps the most well-known, direct thrust manipulation utilizes s a swift, high velocity, low impact thrust, that promotes realignment and alleviates the pain you are feeling.
- Spinal Mobilization: The use of methodical stretches and low impact pressure applications are key in this technique. For patients with injuries such as osteoporosis, this technique is utilized to ensure that promotion of realignment is done in a less painful but effective way.
- Functional: To improve mobility and target injured joints, the functional approach is applied. This technique locates restricted joints. Once located the chiropractor will use professional discretion to promote the restriction to release. This approach is viewed as an art in the industry more than a practice.
- Articulatory: Articulatory is a type of spinal manipulation where to chiropractor walks the affected area through range of motion exercises. With the use of force, elasticity will increase and range of motion will vastly increase, allowing flexibility to stack up.
The above techniques do not represent the extent of manipulation options. There are a wide variety of applications that can be exercised to promote your pain relief and flexibility. Contact your local chiropractor near Plainview at Island Chiropractic to see which types of manipulations they offer to their respective patients.
For over 30 years, Island chiropractic has offered natural, effective treatment to their patients. The three professional chiropractors on staff work together to diagnose and treat the agony you are living with. Investing in Island Chiropractic is investing in the pain-free future you so badly have been wanting. Call Island Chiropractic today at (516) 822-1900 or contact us through our website.