Playing a sport is a fun and exciting way to stay fit. Unfortunately, if an athlete does not take the proper precautions, they may get injured during practice or on game day. Sports injuries can range from joint dislocations to muscle strains and sprains. Getting treatment for these injuries is crucial if you want to be able to get back in the game in a timely manner. If you have recently suffered a sports injury, chiropractic care is a great option for treatment! Contact us here to make an appointment with a chiropractor near Plainview for your sports injuries.
What are some of the most common sports injuries?
- Ankle sprain
- Ankle sprains are amongst the most common sports-related injuries, as the legs and feet are heavily involved in most sports.
- Sprains occur when a ligament is stretched so far that it tears or becomes deformed causing pain and swelling.
- Tennis elbow
- Despite its name, this type of injury is not limited to those that play tennis. Tennis elbow is an overuse injury that affects the tendons in your forearm.
- Knee injuries
- Knee injuries can include a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and patellofemoral syndrome.
- Shin splints
- Muscle strain
- Muscle strains occur when a ligament is overstretched past its limit.
Have you sustained any of the aforementioned sports injuries? Make an appointment with a chiropractor near Plainview today for a quicker recovery.
How can I prevent a sports injury?
Understanding your physical limits is one of the most important qualities an athlete can have because when the body is pushed too far, injuries prevail. Not only is it crucial to listen to your body, but it is also important to take the following steps before engaging in physical activity:
- Warm up your muscles.
- Warming up your muscles not only prepares them for intense activity by increasing blood flow, but it helps increase flexibility as well.
- Wear the necessary protective gear for your sport.
- Make sure that you are always wearing a helmet in sports that require it as well as the proper padding and shoes.
- Take a recovery day.
- Make sure that you are giving your body time to rest and recover after spending consecutive days training.
- One of the most common causes of sports injuries is overtraining without proper rest.
- If you have overworked or over-trained, consider making an appointment with a chiropractor near Plainview for pain relief and rehab.
- Make sure that your body is in the proper condition to play for a long period of time.
- If you aren’t in good shape, you might find that your body is tiring out too quickly. Engaging in conditioning and a pre-season exercise routine can help prepare your body for vigorous exercise in the upcoming season.
What chiropractic methods are used to treat sports injuries?
Chiropractic care implements a variety of tactics in order to help relieve pain and treat sports injuries. Some common methods that chiropractors use include the following:
- Manual spinal manipulation
- Spinal manipulation has been shown to reduce pain in those suffering from low back and neck pain.
- Massage therapy
- This method helps relieve pain while relaxing contracted and knotted muscles.
- Heat/Cold therapy
- This may include warm compresses such as heating pads as well as cryotherapy.
Island Chiropractic provides exceptional relief and rehabilitative care for sports injuries. To make an appointment with a chiropractor near Plainview, contact us here.