In this day and age, back complications can arise out of nowhere and leave you in pain for lengthy periods of time. It’s important to get help as soon as these issues arise to make sure that they don’t develop into more complex complications. While back pain is treatable, it’s also important to know what you can do to help prevent complications in the future. If you’re looking for a chiropractor near Plainview to help with your back condition, Island Chiropractic is the place for you.
These simple movements or daily routines can end up hurting you if you're not careful. Make sure to do these simple activities the right way as outlined below:
Standing - Posture. Posture. Posture. Make sure that you keep your chin up and don't slouch. If you know that you are going to be standing for a long period of time, make sure that you wear comfortable shoes.
Working at a Desk - Make sure that you are getting up every 20 minutes to stretch. The type of chair you have is extremely important. It should fit you correctly so that your back touches the chair and your feet are on the floor with knees at a 90 degree angle. Try to avoid looking down at your computer screen. It should be at eye level.
Sitting - Make sure you have a chair that is supportive. When you are forced to sit for a long period of time, for instance at a desk job, make sure to get up and stretch every 20 minutes. Sit with your back against the chair, feet firmly on the floor. Do not cross your legs.
Lifting - Lifting objects is one of the most common ways to injure yourself. Even if it is a light object, twisting or pulling in the wrong direction when you're not stretched out can have a damaging effect on muscles and the spine. You always want to bend at the knees and avoid lifting anything you know is too heavy.
Overall Physical Activity - If you know that you are going to be working or playing for a while, make sure that you are adequately stretched out and warmed up. Even if it's something light like gardening or just pushing your child on a bike, it's easy to pull something if you're not warmed up.
Talking On The Telephone - If you're forced to use the telephone for a long period of time, a speaker or a headset is a must. By all means try to avoid cradling the phone between your neck and your shoulder as this could cause you to damage the muscles or vertebrae in that area.
Resting or Sleeping - Straining your neck or back while you're sleeping is a very common occurrence. We often fall asleep in strange positions where we are not supported properly or our necks are at an odd angle. Make sure that if you are going to nap or watch tv in bed, that you are in a supportive position.
Symptoms of Back Pain
The back is a complex area of the body and pain can happen at any time, which calls for various types of treatments.
The back can be divided into the upper-region, mid-region, and lower-region. Pain in these regions can be categorized in different ways and some of the symptoms associated may include:
- Aches in the tailbone or the base of the spine.
- Tenderness in the back of the neck.
- Sharp pains in the mid-region or areas along the spine.
- Chronic pain in the lower or upper regions after extended periods of sitting.
- Muscle spasms in the upper, mid, or lower regions of the back.
- Inability to stand without feeling pain.
Treatment for Back Pain
Chiropractors have diagnosed and treated back problems for quite some time and continue to perfect new and effective ways to treat the pain without the use of surgery or invasive measures. Our chiropractor near Plainview can make adjustments that will help balance the spine and relieve stress from areas with a lack of support. Chiropractors can also target musculature that is along the spine and help align it for better aid to the spine.
Preventing Back Pain in the Future
So you’ve gotten treated for your back ailments; now what? Here are different measures you can implement to prevent these issues from happening.
- Maintain a healthy weight: This will prevent the spine from being under too much stress.
- Keeping your back muscles strong: This will make sure your back has enough support from the muscles surrounding it.
- Lift properly: Make sure you maintain correct posture when lifting heavy items.
- Focus on good posture: Make sure you keep your back straight and upright throughout the day and especially while sitting at your desk.
- Sleep well: Getting enough sleep will make sure that your spine gets enough rest.
- Stretching: Stretching your back and neck will do wonders for your spine health make sure to engage in at least 2-3 stretches at the end or during each day.
Back complications can be tough to handle but given the correct treatment, one can be freed from this common ailment. However, it’s important that once you’ve received treatment, you implement preemptive measures that will prevent these issues from arising again. For more information, contact Island Chiropractic and see how our chiropractor near Plainview can help you today!
Why Do Joints Swell In Hot Weather?
While most people think that their joint pain feels worse during the cold winter months, there’s a chance that warm weather can cause your joints to hurt even more! Joints swell when there is an increase of fluid in the surrounding tissues. This condition is most common with the various forms of arthritis. Contributing to these factors is the fact that our joints contain nerves that respond to weather changes. The change in weather causes a change in barometric pressure, which can cause the pain to increase in your joints. As temperatures climb, the level of fluid in the joints rises, which results in swollen joints. If you are experiencing joint pain as a result of the hot summer, look to Island Chiropractic for a chiropractor in Hicksville!
Managing Joint Pain In Hot Weather
If you have a chronic pain disorder, you may notice a difference in your pain depending on temperature. People with arthritis often link weather to their pain. Joint pain caused by hot weather can create copious amounts of discomfort. However, there are at-home treatment methods that you can do to help manage your pain and stay cool during the summer:
- Stay hydrated - Drinking plenty of water and fluids can help you maintain your electrolyte and fluid levels. Steer clear of alcohol, caffeine, and drinks high in sugar so that you don’t get dehydrated. Hydration is a vital factor in keeping your joints lubricated!
- Stay indoors - An air-conditioned environment will help with both humidity and temperature. If you do have to go outside, avoid staying in the hot sun for too long.
- Wear loose clothing - When outside, wear breathable clothes to regulate your temperature.
- Keep active - Light exercise can help keep your joints strong and moving. When you are not active, your muscles can weaken and your joints can become stiff and more susceptible to discomfort.
Summer heat can be physically draining for any individual. Take the necessary steps to create a cool environment at home to avoid worsening your condition. While these tips can help relieve your pain, if you find that your joint pain is not improving, you should contact a chiropractor in Hicksville and seek out alternative treatments so that you can get back to feeling your best!
Chiropractor In Hicksville
Don’t let joint pain ruin your summer! At Island Chiropractic, we offer therapeutic deep tissue massage to help you with your pain and ailments. Deep tissue massage can help reduce your chronic pain and soreness and is very useful for those who have arthritis. Contact us today to learn how we can help!