Subluxation describes the act of your spine’s vertebrae moving out of position, causing it to twist one way or another. This misalignment puts pressure and stress on the blood vessels, spinal nerves, as well as the muscles surrounding the subluxation, which causes an imbalance in the body’s normal processes. With time and as the uncorrected subluxation settles, damage done to the nerve progresses and different stages of subluxation degeneration set in. At Island Chiropractic, our chiropractor near Plainview can correct your subluxations and have you feeling brand new.
What are the causes?
There are three main causes of subluxation: physical, emotional, and chemical.
- Physical: Your spine may be affected by things such as sports, sleeping in a bad position, or getting into a physical accident. Sudden and powerful movements may cause a misalignment, thus leading to subluxations.
- Emotional and chemical: High-stress levels can cause your muscles to tense up, and negative thoughts and experiences can result in back and neck tension. The pulling from tight muscles can cause your vertebrae to misalign; this also applies to chemicals. A poor diet, smoking, drugs, and pollution can also contribute to creating a toxic environment in your body.
What are the signs and symptoms?
Signs and symptoms of subluxation may include:
- Pain, tingling, or numbness in the extremities
- Dizziness or issues with balance
- Spinal muscle spasms, tightness, or weakness
- Reduction in spinal mobility
- Joint pain, tenderness, or stiffness
- Neck pain or headaches
How can subluxations be treated?
Subluxations are usually treated with spinal manipulation. Our chiropractor near Plainview may press or twist on the spine to position the vertebrae correctly. The purpose of using this technique for subluxations is not only to move the vertebrae back into its natural position but to also remove the pressure from the impacted nerve in the spinal cord. The chiropractor may also suggest exercises to strengthen the muscles surrounding the spine. Surgery may be an option if chiropractic care, medication, physical therapy, or any other treatment does not result in pain relief.
If you are experiencing any of the signs or symptoms listed above and believe a subluxation is the cause of your pain, schedule an appointment with our chiropractor near Plainview as soon as possible. Correcting the subluxation before it settles will decrease any further nerve damage.